Re: def-use and use-def chain...

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Mon, 13 Jul 1992 14:12:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
def-use and use-def chain... sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca (V.C. Sreedhar) (1992-07-12)
Re: def-use and use-def chain... preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-07-13)
Re: def-use and use-def chain... lins@Apple.COM (1992-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1992 14:12:09 GMT

V.C. Sreedhar <sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca> writes:

>I am developing some of the dataflow analysis in our compiler.
>Can anyone point to me an efficient way of representing
>for def-use and use-def chain? I am looking space efficient algorithms
>(bit vectors). I need to represent both du and ud chains.

Check out all the literature on static single assignment (SSA).
Especially

Efficiently Computing Static Single Assignment Form
and the Control Flow Graph
Cytron, Ferrante, Rosen, Wegman, Zadeck
TOPLAS October 1991, Volume 13(4)

Among other things, SSA is an efficient way to represent DU and UD
chains. On the other hand, a representation based on bit vectors is
going to require big space and big time to compute.

Preston Briggs