Prior work on Branch Profiling/Optimization

kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (Kjell Post)
Fri, 10 Jul 1992 21:23:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Prior work on Branch Profiling/Optimization kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (1992-07-10)
Re: Prior work on Branch Profiling/Optimization jfisher@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com (1992-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (Kjell Post)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1992 21:23:28 GMT

I'd like to hear from people who have references to or experience with
the following optimization technique, called "branch profiling":

If a compiler knows which branch is executed more often
in a condition, it can generate better code.
This can be arranged by having the program emit profile
data during a couple of sample runs, and then recompile it
with branching statistics available to the compiler.

In the compilers archive I've seen references to a thesis by Karr,
a program called PTOOL from IBM, and a compiler from National
Semiconductor. Again, if you're familiar with this technique,
and know when and where it first appeared, I would really appreciate
hearing from you!

Sincerely,
--Kjell