Optimizing reference count garbage collection

paulj@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 2 Jul 1992 08:24:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizing reference count garbage collection paulj@cs.kun.nl (1992-07-02)
Re: Optimizing reference count garbage collection eliot@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (1992-07-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: paulj@cs.kun.nl
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1992 08:24:41 GMT

I am currently working on the construction of a new compiler for CDL3 (an
affix grammar based compiler-compiler language). Because CDL3 uses a call
by value/result procedure mechanism it was decided to use sharing of data
structures (which are non-cyclic). In implementing the standard reference
count model we discovered that this gave a HUGE impact on the speed of the
produced code (factor of 2 decrease in speed.) The reason for this
performance hit is in the amount of attach/detach operations done. So I'm
looking for techniques which minimize the number of attach/detach
operations. Any references/ideas on this subject would be very much
appreciated.

---
Paul Jones
University of Nijmegen (HOLLAND)
E-mail: paulj@cs.kun.nl
[Personally, I'd switch to mark and sweep or some other form of garbage
collection that doesn't require that you update counts on the fly. -John]