Compiling C for stack engines (Philip Koopman)
Thu, 28 May 1992 19:47:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling C for stack engines (1992-05-28)
Re: Compiling C for stack engines pazsan@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (1992-06-01)
Re: Compiling C for stack engines (1992-06-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth,comp.compilers
From: (Philip Koopman)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 19:47:05 GMT

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe that it is possible to write an
efficient C/conventional language to Forth translator. It's just not
obvious how to do it.

I plan to present a paper on a new technique to manage temporary variable
allocation on the data stack at Rochester next month. The abstract is
below. Since I have already had requests for this information, I am
offering to e-mail a uuencoded postscript copy of the paper to anyone who
sends me an INTERNET e-mail address. Sorry, I don't have time to fax,
mail, etc. (but I'll try to bring spare copies to the conference).

A Preliminary Exploration of Optimized Stack Code Generation

Philip Koopman, Jr.

This paper presents an experimental code generator that performs
intra-block stack scheduling for a stack-based execution model. For small
test programs, 91% to 100% of redundant local variable accesses were
eliminated using this compiler. Compiled intra-block stack scheduling and
hand-performed global stack scheduling show that significant opportunities
exist to keep temporary variable values on the expression evaluation stack
when compiling conventional languages.

    Phil Koopman
    United Technologies Research Center (203) 727-1624
    411 Silver Lane East Hartford, CT 06108