Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless

cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Fri, 8 May 1992 16:09:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@zen.void.oz.au (1992-05-07)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless cliffc@rice.edu (1992-05-08)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (1992-05-11)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless Zoid@mindlink.bc.ca (1992-05-11)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless bobmon@sandshark.cs.indiana.edu (Bob Montante) (1992-05-12)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (1992-05-13)
Re: Why some PC C compilers are useless sdm7g@aemsun.med.Virginia.EDU (1992-05-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cliffc@rice.edu (Cliff Click)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1992 16:09:46 GMT

sjg@zen.void.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:

> Please do _not_ use "text" mode for reading the source! A C compiler
> should not care whether a line of source ends in CR,LF or just a LF.
[ Sad tale of LF-only lines hosing compilers ]

I use both G++ on a Sparc, and Borland/Turbo C++ on a PC on the same
source code, no problems. I use a "fixup" routine when moving code
between platforms that does CR/LF correction. i.e. when saving files to
floppy for transport between platforms my script/batch command does the
fixup before writing. It's painless and quick, been doing it for years.

> This is a real pity. In general I like Borland products, their pricing

I like Borland products as well, enough so that simple problems like CR/LF
I'm willing to work around. If Borland fixes his compiler, will he also
fix the endless DOS text utilities that assume CR/LF?

comp.binaries.ibm.pc routinely posts the fixup thing; or I could send you
my copy.

Cliff
--
Cliff Click (cliffc@cs.rice.edu)
[I suspect the issue is that there are no floppies involved -- the PC uses