Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser?

keithc@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Keith Clarke;W208a)
Fri, 8 May 1992 09:43:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? jeffk@ecst.csuchico.edu (1992-04-22)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-04-26)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1992-04-28)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-04-29)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1992-05-04)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? visser@fwi.uva.nl) (1992-05-06)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? keithc@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (1992-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: keithc@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Keith Clarke;W208a)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1992 09:43:50 GMT

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Martin Ertl) writes:

>Some [extensible languages] are alive and kicking:
>Prolog allows defining any token as binary infix or unary pre- or postfix
>operator. (Some version of) ML has a similar feature. And finally there's
>Forth, where you can twist the compiler (and the syntax) as you like.

Standard ML provides infix directors for 2-ary functions, with specified
left/right associativity and precedence. Lazy ML goes further, providing
"concrete data types". These are tree-structures (like Prolog terms) with
user-defined syntax; you can add your own punctuation even when this
clashes with the keywords/punctuation of LML itself. It's handled by extra
delimiters to separate the user-defined construct from the rest of the
program, which must to a large extent avoid the problem of human
readability. Can any of the LML people comment on how useful this
construct has been? Has it been used much?

It *ought* to be useful in language-processing problems where the data
structures are abstract syntax trees. Not only compilers, but theorem
provers etc.

--
Keith Clarke
QMW, University of London.