Bignum and rational arithmetic

ressler@cs.cornell.edu (Gene Ressler)
Fri, 24 Apr 1992 00:31:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bignum and rational arithmetic ressler@cs.cornell.edu (1992-04-24)
Re: Bignum and rational arithmetic ressler@cs.cornell.edu (1992-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.compilers
From: ressler@cs.cornell.edu (Gene Ressler)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1992 00:31:25 GMT

I'm looking for references on run time systems for bignum and rational
arithmetic. Also algorithms and sources for existing systems and comments
from those with experience.

For the latter category, I've already looked at AKCL, PARI, MIT-Scheme,
and the C++ classes distributed with djgpp.

How about garbage collection issues? I've seen a variety of ideas --
explicit malloc()/free() with copying assign, reference counting, stack
allocation for expression temps, and of course general purpose gc.

How do bignum calculations map onto your favorite parallel architecture?
Has anyone seen architectures with hardware support for unlimited
precision?

Finally, who are the big users of bignums and rationals? I'm aware of
cryptography applications, also computational geometry. Others?

Thanks,
Gene