Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters"

glenn@ready.eng.ready.com (Glenn Kasten)
Thu, 2 Apr 1992 04:36:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" slvj6@cc.usu.edu (1992-03-23)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" popyackl@LONEX.RL.AF.MIL (1992-04-01)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" glenn@ready.eng.ready.com (1992-04-02)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" cmg996@cck.coventry.ac.uk (1992-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: glenn@ready.eng.ready.com (Glenn Kasten)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1992 04:36:29 GMT

slvj6@cc.usu.edu writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has the book "Writing Compilers and Interpreters"
>by Ronald L. Mak and if it's worth buying.

For those more interested in interpreters than true machine-code
compilers, I highly recommend the book "Writing Interactive Compilers and
Interpreters" by P.J. Brown (John Wiley & Sons Ltd., copyright 1979, last
reprinted March 1990). It is very readable and full of good practical
tips. It does tend to focus on BASIC and similar languages, but is still
useful for other languages. In spite of being about 13 years old, a
surprisingly large amount of the content is still relevant. Only the
chapter on parsing is noticably dated.
--
Glenn Kasten
Ready Systems 470 Potrero Ave. Sunnyvale CA 94086