Compiler compilers
Fri, 21 Feb 1992 10:23:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler compilers (1992-02-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1992 10:23:52 GMT

I am currently working on MIMD emulation on SIMD machines. The problem of
instruction set choice is of particular interest to me. In my attempt to
evaluate different instruction sets I'll have to have a set of compilers
to compile simple benchmarking programs to the target instruction sets.
Typical instruction sets have anywhere from seven to twenty instructions.

I am looking for a compiler compiler suitable for this experiment. It
should be relatively easy to modify for different back-ends. Compilation
time is of no importance, however, fairly sophisticated optimization is.
Is anybody aware of any such public domain program?

                                                          Thanks in advance.

Nael Abu-Ghazaleh +
Computer Architecture Design Lab +
Univ of Cincinnati +
[Sounds like lcc or gcc should do the trick. Both are fairly easily
retargetable and do respectable optimization. -John]