Help on smart recompilation

Clement Cheung <cheung@unx.sas.com>
Thu, 13 Feb 92 16:16:10 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help on smart recompilation cheung@unx.sas.com (Clement Cheung) (1992-02-13)
Re: Help on smart recompilation johnro@microsoft.com (1992-02-16)
Re: Help on smart recompilation bwb@cs.unh.edu (1992-02-16)
Re: Help on smart recompilation preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-02-17)
Re: Help on smart recompilation cliffc@rice.edu (1992-02-17)
Smart Recompilation rws@cadillac.siemens.com (1992-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Clement Cheung <cheung@unx.sas.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 16:16:10 EST

I got hold on two papers on smart recompilation. And I quote "Smart
recompilation is the method of reducing the set of modules that must be
recompiled after a change. The method determines whether recompilation is
necessary by isolating the differences among program modules and analyzing
the effect of changes." Those papers dated back to 1986. I am wondering
if somebody reading this group will point me to recent research in this
topic or a related topic.

Please email your responses and I will summarize the results.
Thanks.

Clement Cheung
cheung@unx.sas.com
[There was a related paper on incremental linking in the Jan '91 TOPLAS, but
it described work from 1987. See messages 91-03-090 and 91-03-078. Many
people are satisfied with "make" though I can imagine that there may be places
where the effort to determine that a change is benign is less than the effort
to recompile. Also note that making compilers compile faster like Thompson's
Plan 9 C compiler does satisfies many of the same goals. -John]