partial evaluation

"Saumya K. Debray" <>
Tue, 4 Feb 92 08:47:12 MST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Mixed compilation (1992-01-31)
mixed compilation -> partial evaluation (1992-02-01)
partial evaluation (Saumya K. Debray) (1992-02-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Saumya K. Debray" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 92 08:47:12 MST

> (David Lamb):
> The general response is: the "mixed compilation" work to which I was
> referring is now called "partial evaluation", and can be found in the
> functional programming literature for the most part.

For completeness, I should point out that there has been a fair amount of
work on partial evaluation in the logic programming community as well.
Theoretical work (of which there is a considerable volume) aside, a number
of mature partial evaluation systems for Prolog are available, including:

- the Mixtus system, by Dan Sahlin, from The Swedish Institute of Computer
    Science (contact:; and
- the PADDY system, by S. Prestwich, distributed as part of the SEPIA system
    from ECRC, Munich (contact:

I also vaguely remember a partial evaluation system by Raf Venken that came
with BIM-Prolog, but don't know its current status.

Also, people interested in partial evaluation of imperative languages might
want to check out the paper by Bill Pugh at POPL-92 a couple of weeks ago.
Saumya Debray CS Department, University of Arizona, Tucson