Compiling with Continuations

Andrew Appel <appel@Princeton.EDU>
Thu, 30 Jan 92 09:43:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling with Continuations/Andrew Appel nick@dcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (1992-01-23)
Compiling with Continuations wand@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (1992-01-29)
Compiling with Continuations appel@Princeton.EDU (Andrew Appel) (1992-01-30)
Re: Compiling with Continuations bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-01-31)
Re: Compiling with continuations xleroy@margaux.inria.fr (1992-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Andrew Appel <appel@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 92 09:43:52 -0500

At this point I'd like to make two remarks:

"Compiling with Continuations" is not meant as a comprehensive undergraduate
textbook on compilers, as some people have correctly pointed out.
For example, I consider LR(1) parsing algorithms to be quite important
and useful, but they are quite adequately covered in the standard works
on compilers; therefore, I didn't cover parsing.

Standard ML of New Jersey has indeed been a hog in some ways; but we have
recently been applying the principles covered in Chapter 12 (Space Complexity)
of my book, and memory usage has gone down by a factor of two or three.
Expect an announcement of a new release on the sml mailing list shortly.
(To get on the sml mailing list, which covers topics of interest to users
of Standard ML, e-mail to sml-request@cs.cmu.edu.)

Andrew Appel