Re: What's a good compiler book?

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Wed, 29 Jan 1992 21:57:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What's a good compiler book? maguire@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (1992-01-29)
Re: What's a good compiler book? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-01-29)
What's a good compiler book? elsesser@cs.umn.edu (1992-01-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1992 21:57:10 GMT

In article 92-01-118 (Bill Maguire) writes:
>... but not as a good modern compiler text. What constitutes a
>good modern compiler text? Are there any in existence?

It depends on just what you want. If you want a grounding in the basics
-- the things that the "modern compiler" people tend to assume are
trivial, but aren't, at least not to a beginner -- the much-maligned
dragon book does a reasonably good job. If you want to know about all the
wild and wonderful things on the forefront of research, I think you're out
of luck when it comes to actual textbooks; they don't write textbooks
about that sort of thing, so you have to dig through things like the
ASPLOS and Sigplan proceedings instead. I suspect there is enough middle
ground now to justify an "advanced compilers" text, but I don't know of
one.
--
Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology, henry@zoo.toronto.edu utzoo!henry