re: Help - partial parsing of C (Thorsten Ohl)
Thu, 23 Jan 92 20:58:07 -2300

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re: Help - partial parsing of C (1992-01-23)
Re: Help - partial parsing of C (1992-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Thorsten Ohl)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 92 20:58:07 -2300

> On Mon, 20 Jan 92 15:47:32 GMT, Daniel Tallis <> said:
> As part of my third year project I need to do partial parsing of C
> programs. By partial parsing, I mean all I need to do is delimit each
> individual statement and determine its type
> [...]
> The reason for wanting to do this is that the project is a 'smart editor'
> which 'understands' the program to a certain extent.

`Partial' will have another meaning in this context: since the program is
most probably not a valid C program while you're editing it,
Bison/byacc/yacc might have a hard time parsing it. A somewhat
unorthodox, but very interesting solution for a similar problem can be
found in D. E. Knuth's Web system. The C version (written by Silvio Levy
and DEK) can be ftp'd from But beware:
version 2.0 doesn't recognize ANSI C prototypes yet.

Hope this helps,

Thorsten Ohl, DESY (-T-), Notkestr. 85, W-2000 Hamburg 52, FRG
phone: +49-40-8998-3699, fax: +49-40-8998-3282
e-mail: <t00ohl@dhhdesy3.bitnet>, <>,