Teaching compiler courses

jak@nori.umcs.maine.edu (Jim Kadin)
Fri, 15 Nov 91 13:25:56 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Teaching compiler courses jak@nori.umcs.maine.edu (1991-11-15)
Re: Teaching compiler courses Dan.McCue@newcastle.ac.uk (Daniel L. McCue) (1991-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jak@nori.umcs.maine.edu (Jim Kadin)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 91 13:25:56 EST

I am teaching an undergraduate compiler writing course and I would like
some pointers as to what target language to use for the students'

Our source language is a subset of Pascal. We will be implementing the
compilers in C on Sun workstations.

I've been thinking of using the USCD P-code machine for the target

Is this a good idea?

What do other people use when teaching compiler courses?

Does anyone know where I can get the source for a P-code interpreter that
will run on SUNOS? (or source for other reasonable machine interpreters?)

Thanks a lot.

Please send responses to:

Jim Kadin
[I would think that a target machine with registers would be more realistic
for most purposes. There are a few simulators for real machines such as
James Larus' SPIM. See message 90-09-033. -John]