info on portable assemblers (ACMFIU)
Wed, 13 Nov 91 14:20:46 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
info on portable assemblers (1991-11-13)
Re: info on portable assemblers (1991-11-14)
Re: info on portable assemblers (1991-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (ACMFIU)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 91 14:20:46 EST

I am interested in writing an assembler that will compile code for different
architectures. If anyone has information on previous research regarding
this, please let me know.

By "compile code", I do not mean convert ASM code for an 80386 to 68030.
Rather, I want to be able to compile 80386 ASM code and 68030 code.

A primary consideration is speed.

I would also appreciate info on optimizing assemblers.

Please email.

Albert Chin ...
[The Gnu assembler gas handles multiple targets, pretty much table
driven. Also, look at Fitz and Crockett, "Universal Assembler Language,"
TAB Books, 1986, ISBN 0-8306-2730-8, which describes an attempt to write an
assembler that can turn a generic input assembly language into machine code
for any of a large number of micros. Pretty strange, but interesting. -John]