Re: Looking for Modula2-to-C translator

derek@knosof.uucp (Derek M Jones)
Tue, 15 Oct 91 19:29:55 BST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for Modula2-to-C translator lth@cs.uoregon.edu (1991-10-14)
Re: Looking for Modula2-to-C translator derek@knosof.uucp (1991-10-15)
Re: Looking for Modula2-to-C translator sra@ecs.soton.ac.uk (1991-10-17)
Re: Looking for Modula2-to-C translator csgw@alpha.ru.ac.za (1991-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: derek@knosof.uucp (Derek M Jones)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 91 19:29:55 BST

>We are in need of a free Modula2-to-C translator.

There are two commercially available translators that I know of:

      1) Glance Ltd, Switzerland Tel: 01/853 39 49
      2) Gardens Point, no telephone number to hand. Try contacting RTA on
            England 081-656-7333 who seem to sell every Modula 2 compiler
            that moves.

We are looking at doing the reverse of your requirement, ie translating
C to Modula 2.

I had an interesting conversation at the recent International Modula 2
conference with a developer from one of the above companies (sorry I
cannot remember which one). We worked out that, apart from comments, a
program that was run through each of our translators in turn would
eventually reach a fixed point.

This deduction was based on taking each construct in turn and discussing
what the respective translators did with it. Does anybody know of any
necessary conditions for these sorts of translations to reach a fixed
point? What sort of rules might the translators have to obey?

In case anybody is interested in translating C to Pascal we have released
a shareware copy of a C to Turbo Pascal translator. It can be downloaded
from the Borland Bulletin board.

derek jones