Re: LR(n) parsers (Richard L. Goerwitz)
Mon, 14 Oct 1991 01:59:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LR(n) parsers (Steve Boswell) (1991-10-10)
Re: LR(n) parsers (Karsten Nyblad, TFL, Denmark) (1991-10-13)
Re: LR(n) parsers (1991-10-14)
Re: LR(n) parsers (1991-10-15)
Re: LR(n) parsers (Nick Haines) (1991-10-16)
Re: LR(n) parsers mtxinu!angular! (1991-10-18)
[8 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Richard L. Goerwitz)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 01:59:13 GMT

Karsten Nyblad <> writes:

>The report "A Practical State Splitting Algorithm for Constructing
>LR-parser" describes how to generate lookahead sets and split states so
>that that usual LR(0) parsing automaton can accept LR(K) grammar. ...

I'm in something of a quandry, and perhaps the good nature and wisdom
of the net will help me obtain a solution. I've been very interested
in state-splitting algorithms for LR parsers, but so far have not been
able to locate practical discussions of them for people who just want
to turn around and implement them as part of a small, practical, pro-
duction system for some typical, high-level language like Pascal, Scheme,
or Icon.

Anyone have any ideas? I apologize if the question seems ignorant, but
I have to start somewhere, and the state-splitting algorithms seem to be
a fruitful avenue for conceptually very simple, yet powerful and fairly
fast, parser generation systems.

      -Richard L. Goerwitz goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer