Re: GCC for DOS (FAQ list info) (Alfred Kayser)
Wed, 25 Sep 1991 10:11:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Where can I get the GNU C compiler for DOS ? (1991-09-20)
GCC for DOS (FAQ list info) (Gord Vreugdenhil) (1991-09-23)
Re: GCC for DOS (FAQ list info) (1991-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Alfred Kayser)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1991 10:11:25 GMT (Gord Vreugdenhil) writes:
>You were asking for a pointer to a GCC implementation for DOS. Note that
>the following (and only one available as far as I know) is for 80386sx or
>better machines. The compiler generates true 32-bit code and comes with
>an extender. Unfortunately, this makes the current code incompatible with
>windows or most other products that use extended memory.
It works with virtual memory (even vga memory can be paged) and
memory will be paged to disk if space is needed.
I tested this with a Scheme interpreter which allocated about
5 Megabyte of memory, while having only 4 Meg ram. It worked and
reasonably fast.

I'm sure this won't work this good under Windows or other extended
memory managers!!!

I only need one thing for now and that is a protected mode driver
for the 'packet drivers'. Then I can develop a distributed
object oriented system for 386 (and most other UNIX boxes) systems.

When TCP/IP is ported it can be a good platform to port a X server
to it.

Enough hype, try it!
-- Ir. Alfred Kayser. PACS, OS/2, TCP/IP. --- Email: --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --