Re: Object-oriented parsers

paj@gec-mrc.co.uk
3 Sep 1991 08:58:39-BST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Object-oriented parsers whatis@gnu.ai.mit.edu (1991-08-29)
Re: Object-oriented parsers kww@cblph.att.com (1991-08-29)
Re: Object-oriented parsers whatis@gnu.ai.mit.edu (1991-08-30)
Re: Object-oriented parsers adam@visix.com (1991-08-30)
Object-oriented parsers compres!chris@crackers.clearpoint.com (1991-09-02)
Re: Object-oriented parsers paj@gec-mrc.co.uk (1991-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: paj@gec-mrc.co.uk
Date: 3 Sep 1991 08:58:39-BST

In article 91-08-150 whatis@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Steve Boswell) writ
es:
>Actually, the only reason I suggested CLOS was that it allowed dynamic
>binding on its arguments and not just the object. (I know C++ does
>too, but I personally dislike C++.) This approach would also lend
>itself to languages being extended/redefined, which languages tend to
>do now and then.

Point of information: C++ does not allow dynamic binding on feature
arguments. It allows overloading of feature names and uses type
information to disambiguate the different features. As Dr. Meyer has
pointed out, this is static, not dynamic.

--
Paul Johnson
Telex: 995016 GECRES G | Tel: +44 245 73331