Re: Books on linker details

dalamb@umiacs.umd.edu (David Lamb)
19 Aug 91 19:16:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Books on linker details david@actsn.fay.ar.us (1991-08-18)
Re: Books on linker details dalamb@umiacs.umd.edu (1991-08-19)
Re: Books on linker details jamin@caldera.usc.edu (1991-08-20)
Re: Books on linker details collberg@dna.lth.se (1991-08-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dalamb@umiacs.umd.edu (David Lamb)
Date: 19 Aug 91 19:16:22 GMT

>[There is quite a lot to be said about linkers, but as far as I can tell it's
>all in the folklore and the literature is pretty sparse. Perhaps some reader
>knows of a good reference. If not, I should write a book about it. -John]
>--

1. I don't have my copy handy to check, but what about Donnovan's 1975
      "Systems Programming" book, from McGraw-Hill? I recall it as
      talking about many useful things most operatign systems book
      ignore.
2. A couple of years ago I reviewed Gintarias R. Gircys,
    "Understanding and Using COFF" Newton, MA: O'Reilly & Associates, 1988.
    for computing reviews. It was a pretty readable book about linking
    with one particular object file format.
3. Dan Klein, formerly at CMU, started a book for Prentice-Hall on the
      folklore about computers, operating systems, etc. that nobody
      writes down anywhere. I reviewed his chapter on linkers; it was
      pretty good. Unfortunately (a) when I saw Dan last September he
      said the book was languishing because of other projects (b) I've
      lost any e-mail or forwarding addresses I might have had for him.
      If anyone out there knows where to find him, let me know - and tell
      him to go back to writing his book!