Re: Smart linking under UNIX

Marc Mengel <mengel@fnal.fnal.gov>
19 Aug 91 18:07:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Smart linking under UNIX umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX mengel@fnal.fnal.gov (Marc Mengel) (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX sef@kithrup.COM (1991-08-20)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (1991-08-21)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX rro@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (1991-08-22)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX hyatt@cis.uab.edu (1991-08-22)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX henrik@tazdevil.llnl.gov (1991-08-22)

Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
From: Marc Mengel <mengel@fnal.fnal.gov>
Date: 19 Aug 91 18:07:57 GMT

umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>This brings up something I've wondered about. Why do "Standard Unix" linkers
>only include entire object files- ie every function inside the object file-
>rather than the "smart linking" which is standard on Macs and PCs where only
>the actual functions you use in a prticular object file are used?

Mainly because most Unix object module formats don't have any format to tell
you where functions/procedures begin and end. They provided libraries or
archives to allow the level of "optional" inclusion you are referring to;
i.e. if you *want* separately included functions, build separate object
files, and use the archiver to make a library.
-------
Marc Mengel
mengel@fnal.fnal.gov
[Actually, DOS and most other object files have the same problem, so you
have to make libraries explicitly. -John]