Smart linking under UNIX
19 Aug 91 01:10:27 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Smart linking under UNIX (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX (Marc Mengel) (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX (1991-08-19)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX sef@kithrup.COM (1991-08-20)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX (1991-08-21)
Re: Smart linking under UNIX (1991-08-22)
[10 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 19 Aug 91 01:10:27 EDT

In article <>, (Andy Glew) writes:
> In the C environment, with parameter pointers all over the place, this
> would require interprocedural analysis. Of course, most people don't
> even do "global" analysis within a procedure to handle this sort of thing.
> Separate compilation means that you have to worry about worst case
> aliasing. One thing that I would like to see more of is compilation of
> two (or more) versions of a procedure - one assuming maximum aliasing,
> one assuming minimum aliasing. Which to use could be determined
> statically: the compiler, when it generates a call, would say whether
> the call had potentially aliased parameters or not, and the linker
> would choose the appropriate version of the procedure. This
> information could be propagated down the call tree. Or the information
> could be used dynamically (for really big procedures).

This brings up something I've wondered about. Why do "Standard Unix" linkers
only include entire object files- ie every function inside the object file-
rather than the "smart linking" which is standard on Macs and PCs where only
the actual functions you use in a prticular object file are used? It was my
understanding that Next use a linker which does this smart linking, but that
AIX, SunOS and most other vendors do not.

Maynard Handley