Books on linker details

david@actsn.fay.ar.us (David Summers)
Sun, 18 Aug 1991 20:40:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Books on linker details david@actsn.fay.ar.us (1991-08-18)
Re: Books on linker details dalamb@umiacs.umd.edu (1991-08-19)
Re: Books on linker details jamin@caldera.usc.edu (1991-08-20)
Re: Books on linker details collberg@dna.lth.se (1991-08-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: david@actsn.fay.ar.us (David Summers)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1991 20:40:52 GMT

Please excuse me for barging in here with a tangential idea, but I haven't
been able to locate any information on linkers and how they work, are written,
etc. (Same thing for assemblers, by the way, but I was able to figure out
how to write them).

I am interested in writing a linker to go along with some assemblers that I
have written a few years ago. Is the "linking" process just so elementary
(like assembling) that people figure anyone can write them or what? I haven't
tried very hard to write one but it seems it could be harder, conceptually,
than the assembly process.

Any pointers, explanations (simple?), suggestions, etc., would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
      - David Summers
        (david@actsn.fay.ar.us)
[There is quite a lot to be said about linkers, but as far as I can tell it's
all in the folklore and the literature is pretty sparse. Perhaps some reader
knows of a good reference. If not, I should write a book about it. -John]