Re: Writing a FAST compiler.

clark@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Clark Brooks)
7 Aug 91 19:23:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a FAST compiler. beard@ux5.lbl.gov (1991-08-05)
Re: Writing a FAST compiler. pardo@gar.cs.washington.edu (1991-08-07)
Re: Writing a FAST compiler. rekers@cwi.nl (1991-08-07)
Re: Writing a FAST compiler. clark@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (1991-08-07)
Re: Writing a FAST compiler. kend@data.uucp (1991-08-07)
Re: Writing a FAST compiler. ames!intellistor.com!wicklund@harvard.edu (Tom Wicklund) (1991-08-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: clark@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Clark Brooks)
Date: 7 Aug 91 19:23:40 GMT

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:

>Most compiler efficiency issues revolve around creating highly optimized
>code. However, good code generation with fast turn-around time is often
>What are some general approaches I can follow to create
>a compiler that generates slow to moderate code very quickly?
--------
Program in an interpreted language.
FORTH, APL, and sometimes SmallTalk have quick turnaround.
FORTH in particular requires almost no resources : I used to work with
an 8kbyte operating system in FORTH :-)
        FORTH code is useful for many applications which are not time-intensive,
such as some user interface stuff. I found about a factor of 50 in run-time
speed from hand-assembly to FORTH code of the same function.
        For some applications, there is negligible run-time cost in using APL.
Maybe you'll be lucky.