Van Wijngaarden grammars

Stephen J Bevan <bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Fri, 2 Aug 91 11:43:11 BST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Van Wijngaarden grammars tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-07-22)
Re: van Wijngaarden grammars eggert@twinsun.com (1991-07-25)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars dww@math.fu-berlin.de (1991-07-25)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (1991-07-29)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars hugh@cs.kun.nl (1991-08-02)
Van Wijngaarden grammars bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1991-08-02)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (1991-08-07)
Van Wijngaarden grammars fanf2@thor.cam.ac.uk (1996-02-24)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars solution@gate.net (1996-02-26)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars mparks@oz.net (Michael Parkes) (1996-02-27)
Re: Van Wijngaarden grammars dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-27)
Van Wijngaarden grammars dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-27)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stephen J Bevan <bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 91 11:43:11 BST

In article 91-08-005 tjj@thumper.bellcore.com (Tim Jordan) writes:
      Glammar uses Van Wijngaarden grammars. Here's something I found on it.

      [the stuff deleted goes on to say that Glammar uses Extended Affix
      Grammars]

My question is :-

Are (Extended) Affix Grammars considered to be equivalent to van Wijngaarden
grammars?

I don't view them as the same think as the affix grammars I've read about all
had to resort so some extra ``language'' outside the formalism to represent
certain operations. I think affix grammars are just attributed grammars with
a different name (and attributed grammars are not the same as VW grammars
IMHO). This view seems to be shared by Hans Meijer who says as part of the
introduction to [2] :-

      There is after all no essential difference between Affix Grammars
      and Attribute Grammars. Nevertheless their notational difference
      is sufficient to justify a separate name. One other {\em alleged}
      difference is that Affix Grammars could only describe the syntax
      and {\em static} semantics of a langauge. \ldots . However, with
      Attribute Grammars and Affix Grammars one can equally well
      describe the static and dynamic semantics of a language.

My views were formed after reading the references I give at the end. If
anybody has different opinion, or knows of an article that expresses one, I'd
like to hear about it.

Stephen J. Bevan bevan@cs.man.ac.uk

Mini vanWijngaarden/affix grammar bibiliography ...

[1] - @INPROCEEDINGS{Meijer80,
    AUTHOR = {Hans Meijer},
    WHERE = {Informatics Department, Nijmegen University, Netherlands},
    TITLE = {An Implementation of Affix Grammars},
    CROSSREF = {Jones80},
    PAGES = {320--349}
}

[2] - @INPROCEEDINGS{Meijer90,
    AUTHOR = {Hans Meijer},
    WHERE = {hans@cs.kun.nl - University of Nijmegen, Netherlands},
    TITLE = {The project on Extended Affix Grammars at Nijmegen},
    PAGES = {130--142},
    CROSSREF = {AttributeGrammars90},
    NOTE = {LNCS 461}
}

[3] - @BOOK{ClevelandUzgalis77,
    AUTHOR = {J. C. Cleveland and R. C. Uzgalis},
    TITLE = {Grammars for Programming Languages},
    PUBLISHER = {Elsevier},
    YEAR = {1977}
}

[4] - @PROCEEDINGS{AttributeGrammars90,
    TITLE = {Attribute Grammars and their Applications},
    YEAR = {1990},
    EDITOR = {P. Deransart and M. Jourdan},
    PUBLISHER = SpringerVerlag,
    NOTE = {LNCS 461}
}

[5] - @PROCEEDINGS{Jones80,
    TITLE = {Proceedings of a Workshop on Semantics-Directed Compiler Generation},
    YEAR = {1980},
    EDITOR = {Neil D. Jones},
    PUBLISHER = SpringerVerlag,
    NOTE = {LNCS 94}
}

[6] - @ARTICLE{Crowe72,
    AUTHOR = {David Crowe},
    TITLE = {Generating parsers for {A}ffix {G}rammars},
    JOURNAL = cacm,
    YEAR = {1972},
    VOLUME = {15},
    NUMBER = {8},
    PAGES = {728--734},
    MONTH = aug
}

[7] - @INPROCEEDINGS{Koster72,
    AUTHOR = {C. H. A. Koster},
    TITLE = {Affix grammars},
    BOOKTITLE = {Algol 68 Implementation : Proceedings of the IFIP Workshop
on Algol 68 Implementation},
    YEAR = {1972},
    EDITOR = {J. E. Peck},
    PAGES = {95--109}
}

[8] - @INBOOK{Koster74a,
    AUTHOR = {C. H. A. Koster},
    TITLE = {Two-level Grammars},
    CHAPTER = {2F},
    PAGES = {146--156},
    CROSSREF = {CompilerConstruction74}
}

[9] - @TECHREPORT{Watt74,
    AUTHOR = {D. A. Watt},
    TITLE = {Analysis-oriented two-level grammars},
    INSTITUTION = {Computing Science Department, University of Glasgow},
    YEAR = {1974},
    NUMBER = {7},
    MONTH = aug
}

[10] - @ARTICLE{Watt77,
    AUTHOR = {D. A. Watt},
    WHERE = {Computing Science Department, University of Glasgow},
    TITLE = {{T}he {P}arsing {P}roblem for {A}ffix {G}rammars},
    JOURNAL = acta,
    YEAR = {1977},
    VOLUME = {8},
    NUMBER = {1},
    PAGES = {1--20}
}

[11] - @ARTICLE{Williams85,
    AUTHOR = {M. H. Williams},
    TITLE = {Structuring two-level grammar specifications},
    JOURNAL = ComputerJournal,
    YEAR = {1985},
    VOLUME = {28},
    NUMBER = {3},
    PAGES = {250--256}
}

[12] - @ARTICLE{Wegner80,
    AUTHOR = {Lutz Michael Wegner},
    TITLE = {{O}n {P}arsing {T}wo {L}evel {G}rammars},
    JOURNAL = acta,
    YEAR = {1980},
    VOLUME = {14},
    PAGES = {175--193}
}

[13] - @BOOK{CompilerConstruction74,
    EDITOR = {F. L. Bauer and J. Eickel},
    TITLE = {Compiler Construction, An Advanced Course},
    PUBLISHER = SpringerVerlag,
    YEAR = {1974},
    NOTE = {LNCS 21}
}