Runtime retargeting of code generator (Paul Reddy)
Thu, 1 Aug 91 16:44:12 NZS

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Runtime retargeting of code generator (1991-08-01)
Re: Runtime retargeting of code generator (1991-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Paul Reddy)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 91 16:44:12 NZS

Hi there,
        We have a problem that I am hoping someone out there may have some
clues on how to solve.

        Given a parse tree, it possible to have your code generator decide
at runtime what language it will generate.

        We have a parse tree generated from a Data Dictionary, and we need
to convert it into one of three possible 4GLs, with additional
variations for different platforms. We know that we can (brute force)
write >= 3 code generators each tailored for a target
language/platform, but this would seem to be a waste of time.

        We would like to have a set of routines which can load in a
language definition, and generate code from the parse tree based on
this definition. Speed is not a great concern, but memory is.

        Can this be done? Has anyone done work on this? Are there
articles describing methods to do this. Any information would be
greatfully received.