Runtime retargeting of code generator

paulr@manasys.co.nz (Paul Reddy)
Thu, 1 Aug 91 16:44:12 NZS

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Runtime retargeting of code generator paulr@manasys.co.nz (1991-08-01)
Re: Runtime retargeting of code generator moss@cs.umass.edu (1991-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: paulr@manasys.co.nz (Paul Reddy)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 91 16:44:12 NZS

Hi there,
        We have a problem that I am hoping someone out there may have some
clues on how to solve.

        Given a parse tree, it possible to have your code generator decide
at runtime what language it will generate.

        We have a parse tree generated from a Data Dictionary, and we need
to convert it into one of three possible 4GLs, with additional
variations for different platforms. We know that we can (brute force)
write >= 3 code generators each tailored for a target
language/platform, but this would seem to be a waste of time.

        We would like to have a set of routines which can load in a
language definition, and generate code from the parse tree based on
this definition. Speed is not a great concern, but memory is.

        Can this be done? Has anyone done work on this? Are there
articles describing methods to do this. Any information would be
greatfully received.

        paul

Email: paulr@manasys.co.nz