status of IDL (Bill Homer)
Tue, 23 Jul 91 17:28:43 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
status of IDL (1991-07-23)
NewGen (was Re: status of IDL) (1991-07-26)
Re: status of IDL (1991-07-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Bill Homer)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 91 17:28:43 CDT

I recently came upon the SIGPLAN Notices Special Issue on the
Interface Description Language IDL (1987), and I'm curious about
its current status. In particular:

1. Is IDL still in active development?

2. Can one still obtain a toolset from the University of North
        Carolina at Chapel Hill, or elsewhere?

Have alternative approaches been developed to a similar extent
(toolset freely available, basis for commercial products, etc.)?

- Bill Homer

(612) 683-5606

Cray Research, Inc.
655F Lone Oak Drive
Eagan, MN 55121
[A message in May 1989 from David Lamb,, said that
Richard Snodgrass,, had an IDL processor, but I don't know
whether he's still there. -John]