Re: intraprocedure analysis

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Tue, 2 Jul 1991 12:46:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interprocedural optimization and code reuse ssr@stokes.princeton.edu (1991-06-25)
Re: intraprocedure analysis ssimmons@convex.com (1991-07-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1991 12:46:00 GMT

Convex has released a product known as the Application Compiler which
does interprocedural analysis. We've been stating an expected 15%
improvement in performance. However, we have had one case where there
was a 400% improvement.

For that case, the reason pertained to chosing the right loop to
be the vector loop. Once all the routines were inlined, it was
better to interchange the loop in the outermost routine with
the loop in the innermost routine.

I can only provide you anecdotal stories. The people who did the work
are currently organizing their results into papers and that will give
you better details. Wait until the end of this year or so for the
published results...

Thank you.

Steve Simmons