Re: optimal partition into cartesian products?

sbloch@euler.UCSD.EDU (Steve Bloch)
12 Jun 91 14:46:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimal partition into cartesian products? wendt@.cs.colostate.edu (1991-06-11)
Re: optimal partition into cartesian products? sbloch@euler.UCSD.EDU (1991-06-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
From: sbloch@euler.UCSD.EDU (Steve Bloch)
Date: 12 Jun 91 14:46:15 GMT

wendt@.cs.colostate.edu (Alan Wendt) writes:
>I'm trying to partition a subset of a n-dimensional cartesian product
>into a miniumum number of cartesian products.
>I want to find the minimum # of rectangles needed to tile the triangle
>in the diagram below (answer=3).

I seem to recall this sort of tiling problem figuring crucially in a
proof of a circuit complexity lower-bound; we used two different
numbers, with and without the requirement that the rectangles be non-
overlapping. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my notes from Mike
Saks' class, in which we did this.

--
Stephen Bloch
sbloch@math.ucsd.edu