Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations

daryl@hpclopt.cup.hp.com
Thu, 06 Jun 91 13:35:22 PDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations daryl@hpclopt.cup.hp.com (1991-06-06)
Re: Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations bron@sgi.com (1991-06-11)
Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations bill@hcx2.SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM (1991-06-14)
Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations eggert@twinsun.com (1991-06-14)
Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations cfarnum@valhalla.cs.wright.edu (1991-06-17)
Re: Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1991-06-17)
Re: Optimizing IEEE Floating-Point Operations bill@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com (1991-06-18)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: daryl@hpclopt.cup.hp.com
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 13:35:22 PDT

Suppose I have a program with the following statements:

                        x = 0.0; /* statement A */

                        y = y * x; /* statement B */

Let us assume that x and y are floating-point variables and that the
underlying machine uses the IEEE floating-point representation. Assuming
that we can determine that x does not change between A and B, should the
expression (y * x) in statement B be replaced with 0.0? What if y is a NaN?
(A constant propagation pattern like this occurs in the tomcatv SPEC
benchmark.)

The PA-RISC compilers do not currently perform this transformation because it
makes conservative assumptions about the programmer's desire to adhere to the
IEEE standard.

What do compilers from other vendors (besides HP) do by default? Are any
options provided to override the default? Does anyone have an opinion on
what the right thing to do is?

Thanks,
Daryl Odnert daryl@hpclopt.cup.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard
California Language Lab
[There currently is a heated argument in comp.arch on this point, with much of
the problem being that the IEEE FP standard and the various language standards
talk past each other, leaving large grey areas. -John]