Re: Choosing software VM instruction sets

Kees Goossens <kgg@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Wed, 29 May 91 10:33:38 BST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing software VM instruction sets mabel!landers@uunet.uu.net (1991-05-27)
Re: Choosing software VM instruction sets kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (1991-05-28)
Re: Choosing software VM instruction sets kgg@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Kees Goossens) (1991-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Kees Goossens <kgg@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 May 91 10:33:38 BST

In article 91-05-103 mabel!landers@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I'm interested in finding references about the design of instruction sets for
>software based virtual machines. ...

You may want to have a look at a very high level abstract machine called
Ten15. A number of languages can be compiled onto it, and it runs on a few
different real machines, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else can
expand on this; it's been a while since I read the article:

@InBook(Foster89a,
Keywords="ten15, formally defined abstract machine, high level
compiler target, hoare logic style semantics, has closures as
basic type.",
Author="J M Foster",
Title="The Algebraic Specification of a Target Machine: {T}en15",
Chapter="9",
Pages="198--225",
Publisher="Pitman",
Address="London",