Choosing software VM instruction sets

mabel!landers@uunet.uu.net
Mon, 27 May 91 21:42:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing software VM instruction sets mabel!landers@uunet.uu.net (1991-05-27)
Re: Choosing software VM instruction sets kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (1991-05-28)
Re: Choosing software VM instruction sets kgg@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Kees Goossens) (1991-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mabel!landers@uunet.uu.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 91 21:42:06 -0400

I'm interested in finding references about the design of instruction sets for
software based virtual machines. For instance, the HOC calculator in
Kernighan & Pike's "Unix Programming Environment" is a simple stack based
machine with a small number of operators.

I'm especially interested in references on compiling a HLL, such as C, for a
VM that runs on a wide variety of different hardware platforms (rather than,
say, using the VM instruction set as an intermediate language).

Thanks in advance,

Joe Landers
TechniCon Computer Services
444 Spear St., Suite 213 phone: (415)-896-6313
San Francisco, CA. 94105 uucp: ..!uunet!mabel!landers