Cross compilers for Sun3 running on Sun4

konath@sj.ATE.SLB.COM (Kannan Konath)
Mon, 13 May 91 11:50:29 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cross compilers for Sun3 running on Sun4 konath@sj.ATE.SLB.COM (1991-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: konath@sj.ATE.SLB.COM (Kannan Konath)
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 11:50:29 CDT

Hi,

We are in need of a cross compiler running on the Sun Sparc SLC but
generates code for a Sun3 target. At present, the developers have Sparcs
but use a Sun3 to generate the code. It would be a lot faster, if we were
able to do this on the Sun Sparc.

We use the Sun cc compiler both on the Sparc and the Sun3. I do know that
Sun Microsystems does come out with cross compilers for their machines.
Have you used this product? If so, what are the chances that the code
generated, by the Sparc for the Sun3, is different from the code generated
by the cc compiler directly on the Sun3? At this stage in our development
we would like to speed things up but not if we have to handle additional
problems like the code from the cc compiler and the cross compiler being
different. Does this question make sense?

kannan

Kannan Konath Phone: (408) 437-5143
Software Engineer Email: konath@sj.ate.slb.com
Board Test Products
Schlumberger Technologies
1601 Technology Drive
San Jose, CA 95110
[I'd be surprised if the code were different, assuming the same version of
the compiler on both hosts. Also consider GCC which can easily be persuaded
to cross compile between SPARC and 68K. -John]