Intros to scavenging GC

gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (Brian R. Gilstrap)
Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:17:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intros to scavenging GC gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (1991-04-29)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC moss@cs.umass.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (1991-04-30)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC ncjuul@diku.dk (1991-05-01)
Re: Intros to scavenging GC daniel@terra.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (1991-05-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com (Brian R. Gilstrap)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:17:51 GMT

I'm not a compiler writer (though I do read this group regularly...yes, I
get left behing with moderate frequency :), however, I'm interested in the
possibility of implementing scavenging garbage collection in C++ classes.
I realize that there's no way to make it totally transparent to programmers
without compiler support, but I'm curious about just how close one can get
and whether the resulting classes would be easy enough to use that there
would be a win for programmers.

So, I am hoping to get references to introductory articles on garbage
collection...

Thanks!

Brian R. Gilstrap
gilstrap@calvin.sbc.com
gilstrap@sbctri.sbc.com
[Daniel Ross Edelson (daniel@cis.ucsc.edu) wrote a long paper, probably his
thesis, on the topic of garbage collected C++. A postscript version can be
FTPed from midgard.cs.edu:~ftp/pub/tr/ucsc-crl-91-19.ps.Z. It's fairly long,
106 pages including all the source code. -John]