Re: yacc specifications for HP's SPL

Dennis Handly <>
Tue, 9 Apr 91 22:24:00 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: yacc specifications for HP's SPL (Dennis Handly) (1991-04-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Dennis Handly <>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 22:24:00 pdt

The SPL compiler for the HP3000s (Non PA-RISC) is basically a recursive
descent ad-hoc compiler. (You wouldn't want to look at the code.) It
tries to optimize everything at a peep-hole basis. It is difficult to

HP's COBOL compiler for HP3000s uses better technology that that. It uses
3 LALR parsers, one for each 'real' division.

Anyway, there was an attempt to use TWS to write a grammar for SPL so that
it could be translated to HP-Pascal. It wasn't used very much. I forget
what parts of the language had difficulties.

I don't know what Splash!, a third party product, is using for its

I think there were other companies that offered a SPL to C translator.