Re: Strong LL(1) (John Aycock)
Fri, 15 Mar 91 20:17:11 MST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Strong LL(1) (1991-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (John Aycock)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 20:17:11 MST

I just got the book "Parsing Techniques: A Practical Guide", by
Grune & Jacobs today... it looks very worthwhile. Here's what they
have to say about it (quoted without permission):

'If all entries of the resulting parse table have at most one element,
the parser is again deterministic. In this case, the grammar is called
strong-LL(1) ... Every strong-LL(1) grammar is LL(1) ... every LL(1)
grammar is strong-LL(1) [argument follows] ... the difference between
LL(1) parsing and strong-LL(1) parsing is that the strong-LL(1)
parser sometimes makes e-moves before detecting an error.'

0-13-651431-6. I've just browsed through it, but it looks well
worth the money; it discusses techniques in detail that are just
mentioned in passing in many of the compiler books.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the authors or publishing house.
John D. Aycock
(403) 285-8727