Re: Modula-2 grammar sought (Summary) (George Wells)
Mon, 4 Mar 91 15:20:58 MET

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Modula-2 grammar sought (Summary) (1991-03-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (George Wells)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 15:20:58 MET

Thanks to all who replied following my request for Modula-2 to
C translators, or Modula-2 grammars.

> I've been given the task of porting fairly large quantities of
> Modula-2 code to C. If I am unsuccessful in finding a PD
> translator for this purpose I am probably going to have to
> work one up myself.

The following reply (from Carl Witty <cwitty@cs.Stanford.EDU>) is

    Dave Gillespie's p2c Pascal to C translator has a Modula-2 mode. It
    doesn't quite handle all of Modula-2's features, but it may be enough
    for you. It's available by anonymous ftp to; the
    author is

Several people also suggested looking at the Modula-3 compiler available
on the net. There were no Modula-2 grammars forthcoming.

Others who replied were: (Clarence Wilkerson)
    m2xenix!!pasqnt!jfk (Jim Kerrigan) (Raymond Chen)
    Chris Siebenmann <>
    Piet van Oostrum <>

Troy Zerr <> wrote:

    Writing a reliable translator from Modula-2 to C is not particularly
    easy. Doing the translation by hand would almost certainly be quicker
    than writing a robust translator, and would probably be quicker than
    writing an unreliable translator and then manually fixing up the
    translated code.

    However, if you are interested, someone wrote a master's thesis
    on a Modula-2 to C translator. Hang on a sec ...

    The thesis was written by Matthias Martin at Karlsruhe, Germany.
    The thesis is titled
    "Entwurf und Implementierung eines Ubersetzers von Modula-2 nach C"
    and as the title would suggest, the thesis is in German.

Frode Odegard (frode@DCI2FD.DAS.NET) wrote:

    There's a German company with a Modula-2 --> C translator. Call
    Real Time Associates - (81) 656 7333. They're GOOD guys and won't sell
    anything untested. Ask for Dave Fox, tell him Frode Odegard sent ya.

    What a *sad* task, sir. :-)

    ....- Frode Odegard, Veda Technologies
    PS: reply to

Again thanks to all who replied.