Re: Machine Descriptions

dgb@cs.washington.edu (David Bradlee)
22 Feb 91 01:16:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Machine Descriptions Chuck_Lins.SIAC_QMAIL@gateway.qm.apple.com (Chuck Lins) (1991-02-20)
Re: Machine Descriptions dgb@cs.washington.edu (1991-02-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dgb@cs.washington.edu (David Bradlee)
Date: 22 Feb 91 01:16:35 GMT

In article <9102201924.AA14610@internal.apple.com>, Chuck_Lins.SIAC_QMAIL@gateway.qm.apple.com (Chuck Lins) writes:
> It seems from all the papers I've read on this topic that the research has
> focused on the VAX-11, MC680x0, PDP-11, IBM 360/370 kind of architecture. I
> don't remember much being done with SPARC, MIPS, HP-PA RISC, 88000, ARM,
> architectures.

Yes, most previous work was on CISCs. But recently, Robert Henry,
Susan Eggers and I have worked on retargetable instruction scheduling
for RISCs. We build back ends that include instruction selection,
register allocation and instruction scheduling from a machine
description. The description is more like the Fraser/Davidson model
than the Graham/Glanville. A paper on the system will appear in this
year's SIGPLAN'91 PLDI conference (June). David Bernstein and Michael
Rodeh will also have a paper there that talks about their system for
scheduling across basic block boundaries.

> It seems that we're a very long way from a truely general machine
> description mechanism.

Nothing is truly general. Our description can cover a lot of RISCs
but some features are hard. It's a start. I think we'll see a lot
more on instruction scheduling in the next few years.

Dave Bradlee
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, FR-35
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
206-543-7798
(dgb@cs.washington.edu)