Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought

wrc@cs.rit.edu (Warren R Carithers)
Thu, 24 Jan 91 12:03:37 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought neil@wcc.oz.au (1991-01-23)
Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought mwette@mr-ed.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (1991-01-24)
Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought wrc@cs.rit.edu (1991-01-24)
Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought clc5q@shamash.cs.Virginia.EDU (1991-01-25)
Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (1991-01-25)
Re: Linkers & Loaders, books & article references sought Christian.Collberg@DNA.LTH.Se (Christian S. Collberg) (1991-01-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wrc@cs.rit.edu (Warren R Carithers)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 12:03:37 EST

The only real discussions of linkers and loaders which I have run across are
chapters in these books:

"System Software: An Introduction to Systems Programming", Second
Edition, Leland Beck; Addison-Wesley, 1990;
ISBN 0-201-50945-8

"Program Translation Fundamentals: Methods and Issues", Peter
Calingaert; Computer Science Press, 1988;
ISBN 0-88175-096-4

Beck discusses distinctions between linkers and loaders, dynamic loading,
linker/loader design options, etc., and has three case studies (System/370
linkage editor, VAX linker, and CYBER loader). This chapter is ~50 pp.,
and includes diagrams and algorithms to support the discussion.

Calingaert has a smaller discussion (~25 pp.) of the same issues. This
text also includes some additional discussion (e.g., the Transfer Vector
technique) not explicitly mentioned in Beck.

I use Beck in my Language Processors class, primarily for the case studies
included in each chapter. I have also received comments from students to the
effect that Beck's presentation is slightly more readable.

----
Warren R. Carithers, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY 14623-0887
Internet: wrc@cs.rit.edu, wrcics@ultb.isc.rit.edu (716) 475-2288
UUCP: {allegra,rutgers}!rochester!rit!wrc