Grammar analysis tools

steven@cwi.nl (Steven Pemberton)
24 Jan 91 13:13:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammar analysis tools steven@cwi.nl (1991-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: steven@cwi.nl (Steven Pemberton)
Date: 24 Jan 91 13:13:51 GMT

In article <14868@goofy.megatest.UUCP> megatest!djones@decwrl.dec.com (Dave Jones) writes:
> Is there any way i can configure yacc or some other tool to tell me,
> at each step in a parse, the set of tokens that may follow the current
> token? I am currently doing this by hand, and it is, as they say,
> a tedious and error-prone process.

Here is a presentation of some tools I use to analyse grammars, using
the language ABC, with as example an answer to the above question. If
there is enough interest, I willing to post the sources as a packaged
workspace to comp.sources.misc. I also have other tools, like an LL(1)
checker. Let me know.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@cwi.nl

GRAMMAR TOOLS IN ABC

When I have to work with grammars, I always use ABC to do it. Among
the advantages are that you can do the work interactively, that you
can very quickly build additional tools, and that you have the already
powerful programming environment at your disposal.

What follows is a brief description of some of the tools I use, with
an example. There is no description of ABC: you can find a quick
description of the language by ftp-ing the file "abc.intro" from
uunet.uu.net, mcsun.eu.net, or hp4nl.nluug.nl, in directory
{pub}/{programming}/languages/abc, or by sending the message

request: programming/languages/abc
topic: abc.intro

to info-server@hp4nl.nluug.nl. The file tells you where to get more
information about ABC (there's a book), and how to get the
implementations (they're free).

Some of what follows is also presented in the book, though at a more
relaxed pace :-).

GRAMMARS

The representation that I use is more or less a direct transcription
of what a grammar is. I use a table whose keys are texts (i.e.
strings) representing the nonterminals of the language, and whose
items are sets of alternatives. Each alternative is a sequence of
texts, representing terminals and nonterminals. So here is a how-to
that displays a grammar in this form:

HOW TO DISPLAY grammar:
FOR name IN keys grammar:
WRITE "`name`: " /
FOR alt IN grammar[name]:
WRITE " "
FOR symbol IN alt:
WRITE symbol, " "
WRITE /

and as example:

>>> DISPLAY sentence
ADJ:
EMPTY
clever
shy
BOY:
John
Kevin
EMPTY:

GIRL:
Mary
Susan
OBJ:
SUBJ
SENT:
SUBJ loves OBJ
SUBJ:
ADJ BOY
ADJ GIRL

You can generate a random phrase from a grammar with the following:

HOW TO GENERATE sym FROM grammar:
SELECT:
sym in keys grammar: \ Nonterminal
FOR new IN choice grammar[sym]:
GENERATE new FROM grammar
ELSE: \ Terminal symbol
WRITE sym, " "

>>> GENERATE "SENT" FROM sentence
Susan loves clever John

SETS

Here are some necessary functions on sets. Set union:

HOW TO RETURN set1 with set2: \ Union
FOR x IN set2:
IF x not.in set1:
INSERT x IN set1
RETURN set1

Set difference:

HOW TO RETURN set1 less set2: \ Difference
FOR x IN set2:
IF x in set1:
REMOVE x FROM set1
RETURN set1

Here is a function that collects all symbols used in the rules of a grammar:

HOW TO RETURN used grammar: \Collect all used symbols
PUT {} IN all
FOR rule IN grammar:
FOR alt IN rule:
FOR sym IN alt:
IF sym not.in all:
INSERT sym IN all
RETURN all

>>> WRITE used sentence
{"ADJ"; "BOY"; "EMPTY"; "GIRL"; "John"; "Kevin"; "Mary";
"OBJ"; "SUBJ"; "Susan"; "clever"; "loves"; "shy"}

The terminals of the grammar are all the symbols less the nonterminals:

>>> WRITE (used sentence) less keys sentence
{"John"; "Kevin"; "Mary"; "Susan"; "clever"; "loves"; "shy"}

and the unused nonterminals (such as the root symbol) are the
nonterminals less the used symbols:

>>> WRITE (keys sentence) less used sentence
{"SENT"}

For neater output, the function "listed" converts a set to a text:

HOW TO RETURN listed set:
PUT "" IN line
FOR element IN set:
PUT line ^ "`element` " IN line
RETURN line

>>> WRITE listed ((used sentence) less keys sentence)
John Kevin Mary Susan clever loves shy

A useful set is the set of nonterminals that can generate empty. This
is generated by repeatedly doing a pass over the rules that we don't
know yet can generate empty, until we find no more:

HOW TO RETURN empties grammar:
PUT keys grammar, {} IN to.do, empties
WHILE SOME name IN to.do HAS empty.rule:
INSERT name IN empties
REMOVE name FROM to.do
RETURN empties
empty.rule:
REPORT SOME alt IN grammar[name] HAS empty.alt
empty.alt:
REPORT EACH sym IN alt HAS sym in empties

>>> WRITE listed empties sentence
ADJ EMPTY

RELATIONS

Relations between symbols of the grammar are the essential element of
the grammar tools. A relation is represented as a table whose keys are
symbols, and whose items are sets of symbols.

For instance, if symbol b follows symbol a in some rule, "b" will be
in the set for follows["a"], so you can say, for instance:

IF "b" in follows["a"]: ....

Relations are sparse (i.e. a symbol is not in the keys of the relation
if the set of elements is empty), so we use the following to access a
relation:

HOW TO RETURN relation for k: \relation[k] for sparse relations
IF k in keys relation:
RETURN relation[k]
RETURN {}

To add an element to a relation, we use this:

HOW TO ADD element TO relation FOR thing:
IF thing not.in keys relation: \First time
PUT {} IN relation[thing]
IF element not.in relation[thing]:
INSERT element IN relation[thing]

for instance:

>>> ADD "b" TO follows FOR "a"

We'll display a relation with:

HOW TO SHOW relation:
FOR k IN keys relation:
WRITE "`k`: ", listed relation[k], /

Some general functions on relations. The inverse:

HOW TO RETURN inverse relation:
PUT {} IN inv
FOR k IN keys relation:
FOR x IN relation[k]:
ADD k TO inv FOR x
RETURN inv

The product of two relations (a P c iff a R1 b and b R2 c):

HOW TO RETURN r1 prod r2: \product of relations
PUT {} IN prod
FOR c IN keys r2:
FOR b IN r2[c]:
IF b in keys r1:
FOR a IN r1[b]:
ADD a TO prod FOR c
RETURN prod

The closure:

HOW TO RETURN closure r:
FOR i IN keys r:
FOR j IN keys r:
IF i in r[j]:
PUT r[i] with r[j] IN r[j]
RETURN r

To make a relation reflexive, we use the following. Since relations
are sparse, we also have to pass the set of symbols that it must be
reflexive over:

HOW TO RETURN symbols reflexive relation: \make the relation reflexive
FOR sym IN symbols:
ADD sym TO relation FOR sym
RETURN relation

SOME EXAMPLES OF RELATIONS

To collect the *direct* followers for each symbol, we walk along each
alternative, collecting adjacent symbols. There is one catch: in a
rule like:

SENT: the ADJ PERSON

"the" and "ADJ" are adjacent, but if "ADJ" can generate empty, then so
are "the" and "PERSON":

HOW TO RETURN followers grammar:
PUT {}, empties grammar IN foll, empty
FOR rule IN grammar:
FOR alt IN rule:
TREAT ALT
RETURN foll
TREAT ALT:
FOR i IN {1..#alt-1}:
PUT alt item i IN this
TREAT PART
TREAT PART:
FOR j IN {i+1..#alt}:
PUT alt item j IN next
ADD next TO foll FOR this
IF next not.in empty: QUIT

>>> SHOW followers sentence
ADJ: BOY GIRL
SUBJ: loves
loves: OBJ

To collect the direct starter symbols of each rule, you also have to
deal with symbols that produce empty:

HOW TO RETURN heads grammar:
PUT {}, empties grammar IN heads, empty
FOR name IN keys grammar:
FOR alt IN grammar[name]:
TREAT ALT
RETURN heads
TREAT ALT:
FOR i IN {1..#alt}:
PUT alt item i IN head
ADD head TO heads FOR name
IF head not.in empty: QUIT

>>> SHOW heads sentence
ADJ: EMPTY clever shy
BOY: John Kevin
GIRL: Mary Susan
OBJ: SUBJ
SENT: SUBJ
SUBJ: ADJ BOY GIRL

Similarly for the direct enders:

HOW TO RETURN tails grammar:
PUT {}, empties grammar IN tails, empty
FOR name IN keys grammar:
FOR alt IN grammar[name]:
TREAT ALT
RETURN tails
TREAT ALT:
FOR i' IN {-#alt..-1}:
PUT -i' IN i
PUT alt item i IN tail
ADD tail TO tails FOR name
IF tail not.in empty: QUIT

The closure of the head relation represents all symbols that can start
a rule, either directly or indirectly:

>>> SHOW closure heads sentence
ADJ: EMPTY clever shy
BOY: John Kevin
GIRL: Mary Susan
OBJ: ADJ BOY EMPTY GIRL John Kevin Mary SUBJ Susan clever shy
SENT: ADJ BOY EMPTY GIRL John Kevin Mary SUBJ Susan clever shy
SUBJ: ADJ BOY EMPTY GIRL John Kevin Mary Susan clever shy

Symbol b may follow symbol a in a phrase if b follows a in an
alternative, or if B follows A in an alternative and b is in heads*(B)
and a is in tails*(A). This is expressed as the product
head* . follow . inverse(tail*).

Now we have enough to define a command that prints for each symbol in
an alternative what may follow that symbol at that point:

HOW TO SHOW LOCAL FOLLOWERS grammar:
PUT (used grammar) with keys grammar IN symbols
PUT symbols reflexive (closure heads grammar) IN head.star
PUT symbols reflexive (closure tails grammar) IN tail.star
PUT followers grammar IN follow
PUT (head.star prod follow) prod (inverse tail.star) IN deep.follow
FOR parent IN keys grammar:
FOR alt IN grammar[parent]:
TREAT ALT
TREAT ALT:
ANNOUNCE ALT
FOR i IN {1..#alt}:
TREAT SYM
TREAT SYM:
PUT alt item i IN sym
WRITE " `sym`: ", listed local.follow /
local.follow:
PUT {} IN foll
FOR j IN {i+1..#alt}:
PUT alt item j IN next
PUT foll with (head.star for next) IN foll
IF next not.in empty:
RETURN foll
RETURN foll with (deep.follow for parent)
ANNOUNCE ALT:
WRITE "`parent`: ", listed alt /

This prints each alternative separately, followed by each symbol of
the alternative indented one to a line followed by the symbols that
can follow it at that point.

For example:

>>> SHOW LOCAL FOLLOWERS sentence
ADJ: EMPTY
EMPTY: BOY GIRL John Kevin Mary Susan
ADJ: clever
clever: BOY GIRL John Kevin Mary Susan
ADJ: shy
shy: BOY GIRL John Kevin Mary Susan
BOY: John
John: loves
BOY: Kevin
Kevin: loves
EMPTY:
GIRL: Mary
Mary: loves
GIRL: Susan
Susan: loves
OBJ: SUBJ
SUBJ:
SENT: SUBJ loves OBJ
SUBJ: loves
loves: ADJ BOY EMPTY GIRL John Kevin Mary OBJ SUBJ Susan clever shy
OBJ:
SUBJ: ADJ BOY
ADJ: BOY John Kevin
BOY: loves