Re: Parallel implementation of petri nets (Charles Lakos)
18 Jan 91 01:35:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Parallel implementation of petri nets (1991-01-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.sys.transputer,comp.theory
From: (Charles Lakos)
Date: 18 Jan 91 01:35:12 GMT

In December I made the following query:

> I am interested in running a petri net on a parallel machine such as the
> transputer. Could netters post me information on references, available
> implementations, or other relevant advice.

I received the following replies:

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 12:31:54 +0100

I can recommend you the following paper:

      Taubner D.: On the implementation of Petri nets, in: proc. 8th
                              Petri Net Workshop, Zaragosa, Spain, 471-488, 1987.

At CeBit '90 (greates Computer Exhibition in Germany) I talked to
some people of Switzerland, which already have transputer implementation
of PN. Here are their addresses:

    Jacques E. Boillat
    Transfer of New Technologies (TNT)
    Waaghausgasse 2
    CH - 3001 Bern

    Robert Esser
    LGZ Landis & Gyr Zug Corp.
    Central Research and Development Project leader Informatics
    CH - 6301 Zug

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 10:25 CDT

I picked up your query about running Petri nets on parallel machine
architectures. I don't know of any parallel simulation but I do know of one
distributed simulation.

It is being carried out by

Dr. Devendra Kumar
Dept. of Computer Engineering
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106

The particular class of nets he is simulating is timed P-T.

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 17:20:16 +0100

I know the following paper:
"A distributed simulator for high order Petri nets"
by B. Buetler, R. Esser, R. Mattmann
(Central Research and development, Landis and Gyr Zug AG,
  Zug Switzerland)
published at:
10th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets
Bonn, Germany, June 28-30, 1989.
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 17:18:49 +0100

We have a system that is based on Petri nets that allows you to design
models and have them executed on a network of suns. See the following
for more info. You can get the software from by sending mail to

author = "G. Nutt and A. Beguelin and I. Demeure and S. Elliott and J. McWhirter and B. Sanders",
title = "Olympus: An Interactive Simulation System",
booktitle = "1989 Winter Simulation Conference Proceedings",
month = {December},
year = {1989},
editor = "Edward A. MacNair and Kenneth J. Musselman and Philip Heidelberger",
pages = {601--611}

Many thanks to all those who replied.
Charles Lakos.
Computer Science Department,
University of Tasmania, Phone: +61 02 20 2371
Australia. Fax: +61 02 20 2913