Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping

Brian R. Murphy <brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:15:18 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static type-checking with dynamic scoping roberto@cernvax.cern.ch (1991-01-14)
Static type-checking with dynamic scoping gateley@rice.edu (1991-01-15)
Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping Chuck_Lins.SIAC_QMAIL@gateway.qm.apple.com (Chuck Lins) (1991-01-15)
Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian R. Murphy) (1991-01-15)
Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping barmar@think.com (1991-01-16)
Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Brian R. Murphy) (1991-01-17)
Re: Static type-checking with dynamic scoping mac@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (1991-01-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Brian R. Murphy <brm@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:15:18 -0800

> Does this work even when side-effects to dynamically-bound variables are
> allowed, e.g.

This should be closely related to how ML would handle side-effects to
variables. I'm not really sure how this happens (haven't done type
inference for non-functional languages).

The problems of type inference for Lisp are actually quite a bit more
complex. You could probably do something like what Alex Aiken and I
did for FL (described pretty abstractly in our POPL paper which will
be presented next week, Type Inference in a Typeless Language, in more
detail in my 1990 MIT MS thesis). The mechanism we used should be
fairly easily extensible to variable side-effecting, but would suffer
from terrible performance problems without further improvements.

Does anyone know a reference for how ML handles side-effects to variables?

-Brian