Re: Squashing C Source (Mark Hall)
Tue, 11 Dec 90 11:28:43 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Squashing C Source (H T Fallside) (1990-12-05)
Re: Squashing C Source (1990-12-11)
Re: Squashing C Source megatest! (1990-12-14)
Re: Squashing C Source (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source (H T Fallside) (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source (Lee Woodbury) (1990-12-17)
Re: Squashing C Source (1990-12-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Mark Hall)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 11:28:43 -0800
Keyword: optimize

In article <> H T Fallside <> writes:
>I'm after a preprocessor that will do in-line expansion of procedure
>calls IN SOURCE for C to produce one lovely long main() procedure,
>something capable of dealing intelligently with parameters and local
>variables. Anyone out there got any ideas before I start writing ?

Since the one true answer has yet to be posted, allow me:

A Study of a C Function Inliner
Jack W. Davidson and Anne M. Holler
University of Virginia

Heaven knows where I got this paper, probably heard they were working
on it through the grapevine.

I got a copy of the INLINER program from them for a small fee and
one UNIX(tm) proof-of-purchase seal.

You can get a copy by contacting Jack Davidson using either of:

Two years ago, when I first used it, it did a fine job. Since then
Anne Holler has been improving it. By now I'm sure it'll
be more than adequate for you needs.

-Mark Hall (smart mailer):
(uucp paths): {ames|decwrl|sun|seismo}!pyramid!markhall