Re: New MS Fortran (Stephen Walton)
Fri, 26 Oct 90 15:50:56 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New MS Fortran (1990-10-25)
Re: New MS Fortran (1990-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.fortran,comp.os.msdos.programmer
From: (Stephen Walton)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 15:50:56 pdt

In article <> Jeff Sicherman writes:
>Maybe this belongs in alt.rumors, but does anybody know if there are any
>pending/possible upgrades to MS Fortran any time soon.

Yes. Buy Lahey :-) .

Seriously, I switched from MS Fortran 5.0 to Lahey Personal Fortran 3.00
(the $99 list compiler), and the persistent floating-point stack underflow
problems I'd been having on my AT clone disappeared. Compilation speed was
increased about a factor of 3, and run speed was not reduced at all.

The project in question, incidentally, uses the MINPACK routines, so yes,
the program is heavily floating-point oriented. Lahey is more expensive,
but offers an education discount of 25% off list with purchase of 5 or
more compilers.
Stephen R. Walton, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Cal State Northridge