IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic

John Roberts <robertsj@admin.ogi.edu>
Mon, 22 Oct 90 23:28:24 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic robertsj@admin.ogi.edu (John Roberts) (1990-10-22)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic burley@world.std.com (1990-10-24)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1990-10-24)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic tim@ksr.com (Tim Peters) (1990-10-24)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic dik@cwi.nl (1990-10-25)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic wsb@eng.Sun.COM (1990-10-25)
Re: IEEE 754 vs Fortran arithmetic eggert@twinsun.com (1990-10-25)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: John Roberts <robertsj@admin.ogi.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 23:28:24 -0700

I know there are differences in IEEE arithmetic and Fortran-77 arithmetic.
The IEEE arithmetic is well-defined in the IEEE Standard for binary
floating point arithmetic (ANSI standard 754-1985).

I presume (but don't know) that the Fortran standard defines Fortran
arithmetic precisely.

Does anyone know of any references that compare or contrast IEEE 754
floating point arithmetic with other standards, such as Fortran?

Thanks!

John Roberts
robertsj@admin.ogi.edu
[You presume far too much, F77 has very little to say about numerical
results. The compiler has great freedom to reorganize expressions any way it
wants so long as it respect parens. For example, if you write X*A+X*B it may
compute X*(A+B) though not the other way around. The standard flatly forbids
any expression that causes an exception; all exception handling is a local
extension. I know of no reason that an IEEE implementation of F77 would be
nonconforming. -John]