Re: lex and yacc reference books (Vern Paxson)
Wed, 3 Oct 90 20:40:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lex and yacc reference books (1990-10-02)
Re: lex and yacc reference books (1990-10-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Vern Paxson)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 20:40:04 GMT

In article <> (Glen Worstell) writes:
>In a recent news item someone suggested a book by O'Reilly for
>information about lex and yacc. I'd suggest that that particular
>text is quite poor - for example there is almost no mention of
>precedence. Also, some of the examples don't even work.
>I found the (free) documentation for flex and bison to be much better.

The book is "lex & yacc", by Mason & Brown, published by O'Reilly &
  Associates. I'm reviewing it for an upcoming edition of ";login:".

I have to agree with Glen - the book, unfortunately, is very low caliber.
I'm finding it difficult to condense my criticisms of it into the requested
450 words. It's a pity, since I think there's a real niche for a good
yacc/lex book.

Vern Paxson
Real Time Systems ucbvax!!vern
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (415) 486-7504