Re: Disassembly

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh)
17 Sep 90 17:02:34 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Disassembly phorgan@cup.portal.com (1990-09-09)
Disassembly meissner@osf.org (1990-09-12)
Re: Disassembly pl@news.funet.fi.tut.fi (1990-09-14)
Re: Disassembly Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (1990-09-14)
Disassembly tmsoft!mason@uunet.UU.NET (1990-09-15)
Re: Disassembly albaugh@dms.UUCP (1990-09-17)
Re: Disassembly aglew@dwarfs.crhc.uiuc.edu (1990-09-19)
Re: Disassembly chris@cs.UMD.EDU (1990-09-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh)
Date: 17 Sep 90 17:02:34 GMT

>From article <CHUCK.PHILLIPS.90Sep14170558@halley.FtCollins.NCR.COM>, by Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips):
>
> Suggestion:
>
> Use a program that starts with the first executable instruction, marking
> and decoding as it goes every instruction except for conditional branches.
> Upon encountering a conditional branch, follow _both_ branches. If
> implemented recursively, the stop conditions are, 1) a branch to an already
> marked instruction and b) an end-of-program.

Even _I_ have re-invented this particular wheel, although I use
a more-or-less-human-readable "state file" to convey "marks", so I can
guide it "between runs" as to new avenues to explore (e.g. mark as "a new
entry" all the targets of what _I_ can see is a jump-table).

> Even this can fail if there is a conditional branch to garbage, which
> never happens in practice due to the underlying algorithm.

Never say never. If one is disassembling 6502 code, this happens
a LOT. For those unfamiliar with the 6502, it has _no_ unconditional
branch, hence programmers often use a conditional branch where the
condition is "known to be true." The simple cases are along the lines

LDA #1
BNE foo ; ALWAYS TAKEN

but there seems to be some sort of macho pride taken in establishing the
condition via a _long_ chain of computation. Even in the source, this
can be confusing. When reading raw machine code the problem of detecting
entry into the chain of computation (without even labels to go by) that
invalidates the assumptions can get, uh, very interesting. Oh, yeah, the
short reach of these branches means that they often get used as "stepping
stones", so even the one shown above _might_ fall through. Now it's my turn
to say "but that wouldn't happen in in practice" :-)

And while we're at it, do typical disassemblers just handle the
documented instructions, or do they "simulate" the more commonly used
"illegal instructions" that hackers seem to love? I would ordinarily
assume that since this thread started with "de-compiling", we are _not_
interested in code that "a compiler would never generate", but...

Mike