Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers

raul@sdnp1.ucsd.edu (Raul Rathmann)
7 Sep 90 23:35:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help on disassembler/decompilers wwho@ucdavis.edu (1990-09-06)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (1990-09-07)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers pardo@cs.washington.edu (1990-09-07)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers raul@sdnp1.ucsd.edu (1990-09-07)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers seanf@sco.COM (1990-09-09)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (1990-09-09)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers vu0310@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.ed (1990-09-10)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers hankd@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (1990-09-09)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (1990-09-10)
Re: Help on disassembler/decompilers adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (1990-09-10)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: raul@sdnp1.ucsd.edu (Raul Rathmann)
Date: 7 Sep 90 23:35:32 GMT

In article <HOW.90Sep5173755@sundrops.ucdavis.edu> wwho@ucdavis.edu (W. Wilson Ho) writes:

> I am looking for any information related to disassembling
>object code into assembly langauge or even higher-level language such
>as C. Would someone please give me pointers to program sources,
>documentation or papers related to this?

I have used a disassembler called "unas" that spit out "as" assembly code
from object code on VAXen and Suns running BSD UNIX. I picked it up from
some anonymous ftp site, possibly from a comp.sources.unix archive site. It
was pretty old and I might still have it around, but no guarantees.

I used it to reverse engineer part of a library that I had no way of getting
source code for. Getting it from assembly to C was pretty difficult and was
mostly an intuitive operation. To make a program that automatically did
this would probably be a major undertaking and even then I don't think it
would be able to figure out certain things.

Raul Rathmann
raul@sdnp1.ucsd.edu
OR rrathmann@ucsd.edu