Re: Enumerated data types

corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Corbett)
29 Aug 90 02:50:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[3 earlier articles]
Re: Enumerated data types (1990-08-24)
Re: Enumerated data types (1990-08-27)
Re: Enumerated data types (1990-08-24)
Re: Enumerated data types (1990-08-27)
Re: Enumerated data types grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-08-28)
Re: Enumerated data types corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-08-29)
Re: Enumerated data types (Pete Jinks) (1990-08-29)
Re: Enumerated data types kurt@tc.fluke.COM (1990-08-29)
Re: Enumerated data types (1990-08-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Corbett)
Date: 29 Aug 90 02:50:24 GMT

In article <141425@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (Vinod Grover) writes:
>In article <> (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>>Algol 68 was the first language I met that allowed overloading, but from
>>the published discussions of the Algol 68 committee overloading was already
>>a well known idea then. Anyone know where it first showed up? ...

>I believe that Christopher Strachey used the term "ad hoc polymorphism" to
>refer to a breed of overloading. I *think* that was before Algol 68.

>Vinod Grover

Many languages that supported overloading were designed before ALGOL 68.
MAD supported user-defined operator overloading. The operators were
defined by giving assembly code for their implementation. Aad van
Wijgaarden's paper "a Generalization of ALGOL" described a language that
supported overloading through user-defined rewriting rules. The form of
overloading provided in ALGOL 68 pales by comparison.

During the early development of ALGOL 68, the ALGOL committee planned to
produce two languages, ALGOL X and ALGOL Y. ALGOL X was to be a small
change to ALGOL 60 to fix its few remaining bugs. ALGOL Y was to be the
long-term solution. ALGOL X originally did not support extensibility.
Eventually, the ALGOL committee decided to retrofit retrofit some of the
advanced features from ALGOL Y to ALGOL X.

Yours truly,
Bob Corbett